Acker, Johnson-Odom lift Marquette to 93-63 winJan 17, 2010 - 11:23 PM By COLIN FLY AP Sports Writer
MILWAUKEE(AP) -- Maurice Acker scored 15 of his 23 points in the second half, Darius Johnson-Odom had 20 of his 22 in the first and Marquette hit 13 3-pointers to beat Providence 93-63 on Sunday.
Both Acker, a senior, and Johnson-Odom, a sophomore, had career-best scoring performances, and Acker hit all six of his 3-point attempts. Lazar Hayward added 22 points for the Golden Eagles (11-6, 2-3 Big East).
But Johnson-Odom got it started as Marquette shot 61 percent from the field and jumped all over one of the conference's highest-powered offenses.
Frustration appeared to boil over early for Providence (11-7, 3-3), which came in averaging nearly 83 points a game but lost its leading scorer and rebounder just before halftime when Jamine Peterson was ejected.
- Marquette guard Wally Ellenson leaving basketball team Apr 21
- Marquette freshman Henry Ellenson declares for NBA draft Apr 5
- Cooley hopes to be at Providence 'for life' with extension Mar 30
- Providence's Bentil declares for NBA draft, won't hire agent Mar 23
- Friars relying on Dunn-Bentil duo vs. top-seeded Tar Heels Mar 18
- NCAA wins scarce lately for Providence, Southern Cal Mar 16
- Marquette's Ellenson day to day with sprained left ankle Mar 2
- Marquette, freshman star Henry Ellenson, wrap up at home Feb 29
- Led by freshman Ellenson, young Marquette seeks Feb. push Feb 10
- Providence adjusting from latest bite from injury bug Feb 4
- Providence's Bentil listed as day-to-day after ankle injury Feb 4
- Snow sacks Marquette-St. John's basketball game Jan 23