Eastern Kentucky downs Chicago State 74-50Jan 20, 2010 - 2:06 AM RICHMOND, Ky.(AP) -- Justin Stommes scored 16 points, Josh Taylor and Papa Oppong added 15 apiece and the trio combined for 12 of Eastern Kentucky's 15 3-pointers in the Colonels' 74-50 win over Chicago State on Tuesday night.
Eastern Kentucky (14-6), which entered the game averaging 41.1 percent from long range and 10.2 3-pointers a game, shot 41.7 percent (15-for-36) from beyond the arc. Oppong was 5-for-8 from 3-point range - 4-for-5 in the first half - while Taylor finished 4-for-6 and Stommes 3-for-8.
The Colonels shot 45.8 percent (27-for-59) overall to win their fourth straight game.
In the first half, 10 of Eastern Kentucky's 14 baskets were 3-pointers. The Colonels also held the Cougars (5-15) scoreless for the last 6:57, using a 17-0 run to turn a four-point game into a 40-19 halftime lead.
Christian Wall scored 13 points to lead Chicago State, which has lost eight straight.
- Chicago State pulls away from Trinity International, 81-69 Nov 21
- No. 18 Miami falls at home to Eastern Kentucky Dec 19
- Colonels seek upset of 18th-ranked Hurricanes Dec 19
- Towns, Kentucky rout EKU Dec 8
- Top-ranked Wildcats play host to Colonels Dec 7
- Eastern Kentucky extends Neubauer's contract May 5
- Kansas advances with win over EKU Mar 21
- Colonels face tall task in showdown with Jayhawks Mar 21
- Eastern Kentucky tops Belmont in OVC title game Mar 9
- Bruins battle Colonels for OVC crown Mar 8
- Wisconsin (12-0) off to best start in school history Dec 14
- Colonels hope to lick fourth-ranked Badgers Dec 14