Thomas helps San Diego State hold off Utah 70-68Jan 20, 2010 - 5:36 AM SALT LAKE CITY(AP) -- Malcolm Thomas scored a career-high 23 points and grabbed 13 rebounds to help San Diego State outlast Utah 70-68 on Tuesday night.
Kawhi Leonard had 16 points and 11 rebounds and Kelvin Davis added 10 points as the Aztecs (14-5, 3-2 Mountain West) overcame late free throw shooting woes and watched with relief as Carlon Brown's desperate 3-pointer clanged off the rim at the buzzer.
Brown scored 18 points, Luka Drca had 15 and Marshall Henderson added 14 for the Utes (9-9, 1-2), who trimmed a 12-point lead to 69-68 before falling.
The Aztecs made just 5 of 11 free throws in the final two minutes and were 10 of 23 for the game.
Despite giving up 6 inches to 7-foot-3 David Foster, Thomas made 10 of 17 shots to help the Aztecs dominate Utah with a 36-18 advantage in points in the paint.
- NCAA BB
SAN DIEGO ST 70
UTAH 68 FINAL
Jan 20 12:19 AM
- NCAA BB
SAN DIEGO ST 37
UTAH 29 HALFTIME
Jan 19 10:56 PM
- Utah center Jakob Poeltl declares for NBA draft Apr 13
- Playing in the Garden nice consolation prize for Aztecs Mar 25
- Gonzaga's Sabonis gets best of Utah's Poeltl Mar 20
- Air up there: Zags, Utah features rare meeting of big men Mar 18
- Throwback centers featured in Denver's Midwest Regional Mar 16
- Fisher's Aztecs looking for 7th straight NCAA tourney berth Mar 9
- Seniors Taylor, Loveridge have No. 13 Utah rolling to finish Mar 3
- Taylor leads No. 22 Utah over No. 9 Arizona 70-64 Feb 27
- SDSU tops San Jose State 78-56 to clinch share of MWC title Feb 21
- Athletic big man Jakob Poeltl shines in post for Utah Feb 16
- Utah coach Krystkowiak says time to put 'big boy pants' on Feb 9
- San Diego St. 9-0 at halfway point of Mountain West schedule Feb 1