Old Dominion stays hot, defeats Delaware 68-49Jan 21, 2010 - 2:27 AM NEWARK, Del.(AP) -- Ben Finney scored 17 points to lead Old Dominion to a 68-49 victory over Delaware on Wednesday night, the Monarchs' sixth straight victory.
Old Dominion (15-5, 6-1 Colonial Athletic Association) entered the game fifth nationally in scoring defense (55.8 points) and held Delaware to 49 points on 36 percent shooting (18-for-50). It's the ninth time this season that the Monarchs have held an opponent to less than 50 points.
Darius James added a season-high 15 points for Old Dominion, which was 9-for-22 from the arc (40.9 percent) and outscored the Blue Hens (5-14, 1-7) 39-25 in the second half.
The Monarchs opened the second half on a 7-2 run to take a 36-26 lead with 15:52 to play, but didn't take control until Keyon Carter hit a 3-pointer to cap a 10-2 run for a 62-47 advantage with 1:31 left.
Alphonso Dawson led Delaware, which has lost six straight, with 13 points.
- Delaware fires men's basketball coach Monte Ross Mar 18
- Scoring spree: ODU guard Trey Freeman putting up big numbers Feb 17
- Late free throw helps Delaware top Fairleigh Dickinson 73-72 Nov 24
- Western Kentucky knocks off No. 25 ODU Jan 10
- Western Kentucky hosts No. 25 Old Dominion Jan 10
- Newly ranked ODU rolls past Marshall Jan 8
- No. 25 Old Dominion takes aim at Marshall Jan 8
- Villanova routs Delaware Nov 30
- Undefeated Wildcats entertain hapless Blue Hens Nov 30
- Old Dominion knocks off cold-shooting VCU Nov 30
- 14th-ranked Rams butt heads with Monarchs Nov 29
- Delaware's Threatt kicked off team Jun 10