Singletary leads Texas Tech to 78-71 victoryJan 21, 2010 - 2:49 AM By BETSY BLANEY Associated Press Writer
LUBBOCK, Texas(AP) -- Mike Singletary scored 23 points and had 11 rebounds to lead Texas Tech over Iowa State 78-71 on Wednesday night, giving the Red Raiders their first conference win.
Texas Tech (13-5, 1-3 Big 12) led most of the game and built a 16-point lead with about nine minutes to play. The Cyclones (12-6, 1-2) used a 13-5 run, including a 5-point play after a technical foul was called on Darko Cohadarevic and 3-pointers by Craig Brackins and Scott Christopherson, to pull within 69-61.
But Texas Tech stiffened with baskets by John Roberson and Cohadarevic to seal the victory.
The game was the first for the Cyclones without guard Lucca Staiger, the team's third leading scorer, who announced Tuesday he was going back to Germany to pursue professional opportunities there.
Marquis Gilstrap scored 19 points and had 12 rebounds to lead the Cyclones.
- NCAA BB
IOWA ST 71
TEXAS TECH 78 FINAL
Jan 20 9:35 PM
- NCAA BB
IOWA ST 31
TEXAS TECH 41 HALFTIME
Jan 20 8:23 PM
- Malou heading to NBA draft without playing for Iowa St May 11
- Iowa State signs pair of transfer big men May 9
- Iowa State guard Naz Mitrou-Long granted hardship waiver Apr 29
- Iowa State recruit Malou to explore professional options Apr 25
- Chris Beard bolted UNLV to come 'home' to Texas Tech Apr 16
- Coach Chris Beard spurns UNLV for Texas Tech Apr 15
- Ex-Iowa State athlete sues school over response to rape case Apr 13
- Iowa State signs prep forward Cameron Lard Apr 13
- Iowa St point guard Monte Morris to return for senior season Apr 8
- Cyclones' season starts with Final 4 hopes, ends in Sweet 16 Mar 26
- Iowa State struggles early, falls to Virginia 84-71 Mar 26
- Styles clash in Sweet 16 match between Virginia, Iowa State Mar 24