Rodriguez leads VCU past William & Mary 81-59Jan 21, 2010 - 2:44 AM By HANK KURZ Jr. AP Sports Writer
RICHMOND, Va.(AP) -- Joey Rodriguez scored 18 points and dished out 10 assists and Virginia Commonwealth used ball-hawking defense to cool off William & Mary 81-59 on Wednesday night.
The Rams (13-4, 5-3 Colonial Athletic Association) took command with a defense-led 18-5 run early in the second half, turning a 33-31 game into a 51-36 advantage with 11 minutes left. When VCU's Bradford Burgess and Ed Nixon answered a Tribe basket with 3-pointers, pushing the Rams' lead to 18.
William & Mary (14-4, 6-2), which arrived winners in 14 of 15 and riding a school-record seven-game road winning streak, had trouble all night with the Rams' defensive intensity, which yielded three steals and easy layups during the game-changing second-half spree.
Danny Sumner led William & Mary with 20 points, while Markus Kitts had 16 points and 11 rebounds.
- NCAA BB
WILLIAM & MARY 59
VA COMMONWEALTH 81 FINAL
Jan 20 9:22 PM
- NCAA BB
WILLIAM & MARY 26
VA COMMONWEALTH 31 HALFTIME
Jan 20 8:17 PM
- Things looking more normal for Wade in Year 2 at VCU May 13
- VCU announces sophomore F Michael Gilmore is transferring May 3
- VCU restructures, extends contract of men's hoops coach Wade Mar 29
- Oklahoma faces another dangerous double-digit seed in VCU Mar 19
- Payton II following in father's NCAA footsteps at Oregon St Mar 17
- VCU hoping to find winning formula again in NCAA Tournament Mar 16
- VCU seeking another shot at A10 Tournament championship Mar 9
- JeQuan Lewis' growth at PG a key to VCU's winning streak Feb 5
- VCU coach Will Wade says surging Rams can't get complacent Jan 21
- Broken finger likely to sideline VCU's Burgess 'a few weeks' Jan 11
- Wade to begin VCU's post-Shaka era with modified 'Havoc' Nov 10
- Wade leaves Chattanooga to return to VCU Apr 7