Samford edges Elon 50-49 on Johnson's late 3Jan 22, 2010 - 2:26 AM ELON, N.C.(AP) -- Kaylin Johnson hit a 3-pointer with 17 seconds left to give Samford a 50-49 win over Elon on Thursday night.
The Bulldogs (8-10, 2-1 Southern Conference) trailed 49-44 with 1:50 to play, before forcing two Phoenix turnovers and hitting two 3-pointers.
Trey Montgomery's 3 pulled Elon within 49-47 with 1:25 remaining, before a string of three turnovers.
Adam Constantine turned the ball over for Elon (3-15, 1-6), but the Bulldogs' gave the ball right back on Johnson's turnover. The Phoenix, however, turned the ball over on the second-straight possession - this time by Chris Long.
Johnson, who finished with nine points, then hit his shot to snap a two-game skid by the Bulldogs, who won for first time in five conference games.
Andy King scored 16 for the Bulldogs, who led 23-16 at halftime.
Drew Spradlin had 14 for the Phoenix, Long 11 and Devan Carter 10.
- Samford coach Padgett signs 4-year extension Mar 6
- Okafor's big night carries Duke over Elon Dec 15
- Duke gets back to work against Elon Dec 15
- Samford tabs Padgett new head coach Jun 6
- Winter storm postpones Elon at Furman Feb 12
- UMass continues winning ways, downs Elon Jan 18
- Minutemen meet Phoenix in non-league tussle Jan 18
- Duke routs Elon Dec 31
- Elon seeks upset of No. 7 Duke Dec 31
- Dinwiddie leads Colorado over Elon Dec 14
- No. 21 Colorado puts streak on the line against Elon Dec 13
- No. 1 Duke downs Elon to remain unbeaten Dec 20