Arkansas State beats Florida International 76-61Jan 22, 2010 - 3:18 AM MIAMI(AP) -- Brandon Reed scored 25 points to lead Arkansas State past Florida International 76-61 on Thursday night.
The Red Wolves (11-7, 6-1 Sun Belt Conference) used a 17-5 run to break the game open 5:42 into the second half.
Reed scored eight points during the spurt and Trey Finn's 3-pointer capped the run for a 50-36 Arkansas State lead with 14:18 remaining.
Florida International (6-16, 3-6) pulled within 54-47 on Stephon Weaver's field goal with 11:03 left, but didn't get any closer.
Marvin Roberts and Phil Gary scored 13 points each to lead Florida International.
The Golden Panthers coach Isiah Thomas returned Thursday following a two-game absence. Thomas left the team after the death of his mother, Mary Thomas, on Jan. 13. The Golden Panthers were 1-1 without Thomas.
- Arkansas State fined, vacates win after apparel violation Apr 13
- No. 5 Louisville powers past FIU Dec 5
- Panthers seek upset of fifth-ranked Cardinals Dec 5
- Smith powers Louisville to blowout of FIU Dec 22
- Cardinals fly south to take on Panthers Dec 21
- FIU tabs Evans as head coach Apr 16
- Western Kentucky wins back-to-back Sun Belt titles Mar 12
- Hilltoppers and Panthers duke it out for Sun Belt crown Mar 11
- Louisville blows past FIU Dec 20
- Panthers hope to claw their way past fifth-ranked Cardinals Dec 19
- FIU tabs Richard Pitino as head coach Apr 16
- Isiah Thomas out as FIU hoops coach Apr 6