Sacred Heart tops Central Connecticut State 71-53Jan 22, 2010 - 4:52 AM FAIRFIELD, Conn.(AP) -- Corey Hassan scored 17 points and grabbed 12 rebounds and Liam Potter added 13 points and 10 boards to lead the Sacred Heart past Central Connecticut State 71-53 on Thursday night.
The Pioneers (11-7, 4-3 Northeast Conference) won the second meeting in five days between the teams, with the Blue Devils (5-13, 2-5) winning at home 88-65 on Saturday.
The lead changed six times in the first 12 minutes. The Blue Devils led 23-17 with 7:03 to play in the first half on consecutive baskets by Shemik Thompson. Sacred Heart built a 33-28 lead and took a 36-34 lead into intermission thanks to a three-point play by Ryan Litke.
Sacred Heart used a 7-1 run in the second half to lead 50-42, then each team scored only one basket in the next 5 minutes. Thompson hit another 3 to pull within six, but the Blue Devils could get no closer.
Markeys Deans led the Blue Devils with 18 points.
- NCAA BB
CENTRAL CONN 53
SACRED HEART 71 FINAL
Jan 21 9:25 PM
- NCAA BB
CENTRAL CONN 34
SACRED HEART 36 HALFTIME
Jan 21 8:32 PM
- Former UConn star Marshall to coach Central Connecticut Apr 6
- Pryor leads Robert Morris over Sacred Heart 73-63 Feb 25
- Dickenman retires after 20 years at Central Connecticut Feb 19
- CCSU holds off late charge by Robert Morris to win, 75-70 Feb 4
- Robert Morris uses late first-half run, beats CCSU 59-45 Jan 21
- Sacred Heart rallies to beat Robert Morris 69-65 Jan 2
- Carter, Robinson carry BC past Central Conn. 82-57 Nov 19
- Russell leads No. 20 Ohio State in rout of Sacred Heart Nov 23
- Buckeyes play host to Pioneers Nov 23
- Ross leads No. 5 Buckeyes over CCSU Dec 7
- Blue Devils face tall task in clash with fifth-ranked Buckeyes Dec 7
- Boeheim matches Knight as Syracuse rolls Dec 31