Valparaiso edges Illinois-Chicago 64-58Jan 22, 2010 - 3:41 AM CHICAGO(AP) -- Brandon Wood scored 16 points to lead four teammates in double figures and Valparaiso defeated Illinois-Chicago 64-58 Thursday night.
Howard Little scored 14 points, Michael Rogers 11 and Brandon McPherson 10 for the Crusaders (9-11, 4-4 Horizon). Cory Johnson had nine points and 12 rebounds for Valparaiso, which won despite shooting just 32 percent from the field in the game.
K. C. Robbins led the Flames (5-13, 1-7) with 14 points. Jeremy Buttell scored 13 and Chris Buchanan 11 for UIC, which shot 40 percent.
The Crusaders made up the difference at the free-throw line, going 26-for-34 compared to 10-of-17 for Illinois-Chicago.
Valparaiso led 33-26 at halftime and hit just five field goals after that, but scored 20 points at the foul line in the second half.
- NCAA BB
ILLINOIS CHI 58 FINAL
Jan 21 10:07 PM
- NCAA BB
ILLINOIS CHI 26 HALFTIME
Jan 21 8:52 PM
- Lottich succeeds Drew as basketball coach at Valparaiso Apr 7
- Correction: Northern Kentucky-Valparaiso story Feb 16
- Ball State hangs on to beat Valparaiso 69-66 Nov 28
- UIC hires McClain as men's basketball coach Mar 23
- Maryland survives Valparaiso to advance Mar 20
- Terps open NCAA Tournament play against Crusaders Mar 20
- Valpo comes back to beat Green Bay in Horizon final Mar 10
- Illinois-Chicago fires Moore Mar 10
- Crusaders clash with Phoenix for Horizon League crown Mar 10
- Bryce Drew, Valpo agree on new 10-year deal Dec 18
- UIC gives Moore contract extension Apr 17
- Nix, Michigan State cruise past Valpo in second round Mar 21