Butler holds off Loyola of Chicago 48-47Jan 22, 2010 - 3:51 AM By RICK GANO AP Sports Writer
CHICAGO(AP) -- Willie Veasley's free throw with 34 seconds left gave Butler the lead and the Bulldogs survived a last-second shot and tip attempt to beat Loyola of Chicago 48-47 Thursday night.
Veasley hit the second of two free throws to break a 47-47 tie. After the teams traded turnovers, Loyola had one last chance with 5.9 seconds to go. But Terrance Hill's 3-point attempt went in and out and Jordan Hicks couldn't convert a tip-in as the buzzer sounded.
Shelvin Mack and Gordon Hayward scored 12 points each for cold-shooting Butler (15-4, 8-0 Horizon), which won its seventh straight game.
Loyola (12-6, 3-5) got 14 points from Walt Gibler and 12 points from Hill, whose long 3-pointer with 48 seconds to play, after two offensive rebounds by teammate Andy Polka, tied the game at 47.
- NCAA BB
LOYOLA CHI 47 FINAL
Jan 21 10:10 PM
- NCAA BB
LOYOLA CHI 26 HALFTIME
Jan 21 8:59 PM
- Butler basketball coach agrees to contract extension May 18
- Butler fills assistant coaching void with hire of Schrage May 12
- Butler adds graduate transfer Avery Woodson to roster Apr 25
- Butler partners with bone marrow registry in Smith's honor Mar 18
- Shut out of NCAA games, Butler's mascot hard at work outside Mar 18
- No. 1 seed Virginia prepares for 2nd-round test from Butler Mar 18
- Smith leads 5th school to NCAAs as Texas Tech faces Butler Mar 16
- Emotional season helps Butler finds its way to NCAA tourney Mar 15
- No. 16 Providence rallies late, downs No. 18 Butler 71-68 Jan 19
- No. 24 Butler changing script with more offensive power Nov 9
- Loyola-Chicago beats ULM for CBI title Apr 1
- Ramblers seek CBI crown in showdown with Warhawks Apr 1