S. Dakota 68, Utah Valley St. 86Jan 22, 2010 - 4:52 AM OREM, Utah (AP) -- Shawn Deadwiler scored a career-high 23 points Thursday as Utah Valley defeated South Dakota 86-68.
Deadwiler came into the game averaging 9.3 points per game for the Wolverines (8-10, 2-1 Great West). Eric Deardon added 11 points, while Tyray Petty and Aaron England had 10 apiece.
Tyler Cain had 20 points for South Dakota (9-9, 1-1), which hit only 14 of 30 free throws in the game. Utah Valley was 23 for 25 from the line.
Utah Valley trailed 19-12 with 10:45 remaining in the first half but then hit four straight 3-pointers in the next seven minutes en route to a 28-9 run that put the Wolverines on top 40-28.
The Coyotes pulled within 49-46 in the second half on a three-point play by Cain, but seven straight points by Jourdain Scoubes (including four on a rare four-point play) and four straight by Corey Claitt put Utah Valley back on top 60-48 with 11:56 left in the game.
- NCAA BB
SOUTH DAKOTA 68
UTAH VALLEY ST 86 FINAL
Jan 21 11:02 PM
- NCAA BB
SOUTH DAKOTA 33
UTAH VALLEY ST 45 HALFTIME
Jan 21 10:00 PM
- IPFW beats South Dakota 86-70 in Summit League quarterfinal Mar 5
- South Dakota takes down Florida Gulf Coast 89-81 in OT Dec 28
- No. 3 Arizona makes short work of Utah Valley Dec 10
- Wolverines hit road seeking upset of third-ranked Wildcats Dec 9
- Brawl ends Utah Valley-New Mexico State game Feb 28
- Oregon routs Utah Valley Nov 20
- Utah Valley challenges No. 17 Oregon Nov 19
- Smart helps Oklahoma State ease past Utah Valley Nov 12
- Utah Valley visits No. 8 Oklahoma State Nov 12
- South Dakota names James interim coach Sep 7
- South Dakota's Tecker to miss senior season Apr 16
- No. 25 KSU turns it on late, beats South Dakota Dec 31