Kent State beats Akron 87-70Jan 23, 2010 - 9:09 PM KENT, Ohio(AP) -- Justin Greene recorded a double-double, scoring 23 points and grabbing 13 rebounds, to lead Kent State in an 87-70 win over Akron on Saturday.
Green led five Kent State players in double-figure scoring as Tyree Evans and Mike McKee had 14 points apiece, Rodriguez Sherman scored 13 and Chris Singletary added 10.
The game was tied at 35-all at the break, but the Golden Flashes (12-7, 3-2 Mid-American Conference) put the game away with a 22-4 run to open the second half.
The Golden Flashes shot 51.7 percent from the floor (30-for-58) compared to just a 44.1 percent mark (26-for-59) by the Zips.
Chris McKnight scored 13 points to lead Akron (13-6, 3-2), while Jimmy Conyers added 12 and Steve McNees had 11.
The Golden Flashes outrebounded the Zips 38-28 and outscored them 23-11 on second-chance points.
- Oubre shines as Kansas tops Kent St. Dec 30
- Kent State tangles with No. 13 Kansas Dec 30
- Niang paces Cyclones over Zips Dec 23
- Iowa State and Akron meet in Diamond Head Classic Dec 23
- Daniels, Reddic lead Rams in rout of Zips Mar 22
- Akron takes on VCU in second round of NCAA Tournament Mar 20
- Akron routs Ohio for MAC title Mar 17
- Ohio battles Akron for MAC Tournament title Mar 16
- McDermott powers No. 16 Creighton past Akron Dec 9
- No. 16 Bluejays play host to Zips Dec 9
- Ohio edges Akron to take MAC title Mar 11
- MAC title on the line as Bobcats battle Zips Mar 10