Memphis knocks off Houston 92-77Jan 24, 2010 - 3:35 AM MEMPHIS, Tenn.(AP) -- Roburt Sallie and Wesley Witherspoon scored 20 points apiece as Memphis recovered from its first Conference USA loss in almost four years with a 92-77 victory over Houston on Saturday night.
Doneal Mack added 17 and Willie Kemp finished with 11 for Memphis (14-5, 4-1), which was coming off a 72-67 loss to UTEP on Wednesday, ending the Tigers' streak of 64 straight victories, including postseason, in C-USA.
Elliot Williams had 10 points for the Tigers, hitting all three of his shots from the field.
Aubrey Coleman, the leading scorer in the country at 25.3 points a game, led the Cougars (10-9, 3-3) with 32 points. Kendrick Washington, who was 5-for-5 from the field, added 11. Maurice McNeil and Zamal Nixon had 10 points each, McNeil adding a game-high 11 rebounds for Houston.
The loss to UTEP was the first in conference since the Tigers lost at UAB on March 2, 2006.
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
HOUSTON 39 38 77
MEMPHIS 39 53 92 FINAL
HIGH SCORERS: HOUSTON - AUBREY COLEMAN 32, KENDRICK WASHINGTON
11, TWO PLAYERS WITH 10
MEMPHIS - ROBURT SALLIE 20, WESLEY WITHERSPOON
20, DONEAL MACK 17
Jan 23 10:11 PM
- NCAA BB
MEMPHIS 39 HALFTIME
Jan 23 8:57 PM
- Tubby Smith adds 4 assistants to his Memphis coaching staff May 10
- Memphis hires Tubby Smith as Tigers' new basketball coach Apr 14
- Memphis reviewing possible AD, coach conflict of interest Mar 22
- Josh Pastner to stay at Memphis despite missing NCAAs again Mar 18
- American Athletic Conference suspends Memphis' Shaq Goodwin Jan 5
- Mississippi State suspends F Demetrius Houston indefinitely Nov 17
- Memphis athletic director Tom Bowen gets 2-year extension Oct 8
- Moore leads No. 21 SMU over Memphis Feb 27
- SMU and Memphis collide in AAC action Feb 26
- SMU gets past Houston Feb 12
- Mustangs and Cougars clash in AAC action Feb 12
- No. 3 Gonzaga routs Memphis Feb 1