Southern Miss beats East Carolina 68-53Jan 24, 2010 - 12:21 AM HATTIESBURG, Miss.(AP) -- Gary Flowers, R.L. Horton and Torye Pelham chipped in 12 points each and Southern Mississippi defeated East Carolina 68-53 on Saturday.
Flowers and Pelham headlined a physical Golden Eagles front court, which outscored the Pirates 42-20 in the paint and won the rebounding battle 34-21.
Buchi Awaji and Sai'Quon Stone chipped in 10 points apiece for the Golden Eagles (11-8, 1-4 Conference USA), who won their first regular-season conference game since Feb. 17 when they defeated East Carolina 69-59.
Southern Miss shot 48 percent (26 of 54) from the floor in the win, which snapped a two-game losing skid.
Jamar Abrams led East Carolina (6-13, 0-5) with 18 points. The Pirates extended their losing streak to five games, and increased their Conference USA losing streak to 11 games. East Carolina has not won a league game since Feb. 15.
- Former So. Miss coach Tyndall hit with 10-year show cause Apr 8
- No. 20 SMU beats ECU in American QFs Mar 13
- Pirates seek upset of Mustangs in AAC Tournament action Mar 13
- Southern Miss self-imposes postseason ban Jan 20
- No. 12 UNC routs East Carolina Dec 7
- 12th-ranked Tar Heels set sights on Pirates Dec 7
- NCAA reviewing Southern Miss men's hoops Nov 6
- Southern Miss names Sadler men's hoops coach May 1
- No. 9 Louisville stifles Southern Miss en route to win Nov 29
- Cardinals set sights on red-hot Golden Eagles Nov 29
- Hood leads No. 6 Duke over East Carolina Nov 19
- Pirates put perfect mark on line versus sixth-ranked Blue Devils Nov 19