Middleton leads Winthrop past Gardner-Webb 65-45Jan 24, 2010 - 2:56 AM BOILING SPRINGS, N.C.(AP) -- Reggie Middleton scored 17 points and Robbie Dreher added 15 as Winthrop pulled away from Gardner-Webb 65-45 on Saturday night.
The Eagles (9-10, 5-4 Big South Conference) outscored the Runnin' Bulldogs 17-4 in the final 5:11 to win for the fourth time in their last five contests.
Middleton scored 12 points in a slow-starting first half that was tied at 16 with 4:29 left. Winthrop led 26-24 at the break, then scored the first eight points of the second half to pull ahead by 10.
Gardner-Webb (6-13, 3-6) cut it to 42-37 on five straight points by Jonathan Moore, but could get no closer, snapping its two-game winning streak.
Moore led the Runnin' Bulldogs with 11 points. Joshua Henley had eight points and 12 rebounds.
The Eagles were 5-for-16 from long range and 16-for-26 from the free throw line. Gardner-Webb made 1 of 10 3-point attempts and 6 of 12 foul shots.
- Northern Iowa's winning culture leads to NCAA bid Mar 11
- Coastal Carolina tops Winthrop for Big South title Mar 8
- Winthrop meets Coastal Carolina for Big South crown Mar 8
- Terps pull away to beat Winthrop Dec 6
- 21st-ranked Terps tangle with Eagles Dec 6
- Arizona runs away from Gardner-Webb in second half Dec 2
- Bulldogs hit road seeking upset of third-ranked Wildcats Dec 2
- Coastal Carolina tops Winthrop for Big South crown Mar 9
- Winthrop challenges Chanticleers for Big South title Mar 9
- Duke takes care of Gardner-Webb Dec 16
- Runnin' Bulldogs seek upset of mighty Blue Devils Dec 16
- No. 14 VCU pulls away from Winthrop Nov 16