Louisiana-Monroe defeats New Orleans 48-47Jan 24, 2010 - 3:40 AM NEW ORLEANS(AP) -- Tommie Sykes hit a clutch free throw in the closing seconds to propel Louisiana-Monroe past New Orleans 48-47 on Saturday night.
Dynile Forbes and Colby Carr scored 10 points apiece to lead the Warhawks (9-12, 4-6 Sun Belt Conference), who have won three of their last four games.
The Warhawks held a 47-42 lead with 1:23 to play, but New Orleans (7-13, 2-7) responded with two free throws from Carl Blair and a 3-pointer from Jaroslav Tyrna to tie the game at 47 with 39 seconds remaining.
Sykes was fouled on the ensuing possession, and he made 1 of 2 from the charity stripe to give Louisiana-Monroe a one-point lead. The Privateers had a final chance to win, but Blair's shot with 5 seconds left was off target.
Charles Carmouche finished wirh nine points and 10 rebounds to lead New Orleans.
- NCAA BB
UL MONROE 48
NEW ORLEANS 47 FINAL
Jan 23 10:02 PM
- NCAA BB
UL MONROE 21
NEW ORLEANS 13 HALFTIME
Jan 23 8:47 PM
- Minnesota beats Louisiana-Monroe 67-56 Nov 15
- Louisiana-Monroe cruises over McMurry 88-43 in opener Nov 13
- Loyola-Chicago beats ULM for CBI title Apr 1
- Ramblers seek CBI crown in showdown with Warhawks Apr 1
- Loyola beats ULM in CBI opener Mar 30
- No. 8 Florida needs OT to subdue UL-Monroe Nov 21
- Gators seek redemption in bout with visiting Warhawks Nov 21
- Appling leads Spartans to rout of New Orleans Dec 28
- New Orleans hits road to challenge No. 5 Michigan State Dec 28
- No. 3 Ohio State routs Louisiana Monroe Dec 28
- ULM comes calling on No. 3 Ohio State Dec 27
- Wiggins, KU take down UL-Monroe Nov 9