Smith leads Fresno State over Nevada 87-77Jan 24, 2010 - 6:09 AM FRESNO, Calif.(AP) -- Greg Smith had 25 points, 11 rebounds and five assists as Fresno State held off Nevada for an 87-77 victory on Saturday night.
Mike Ladd added 14 points, and Brandon Sperling had 10 points, eight rebounds and seven assists for the Bulldogs (11-10, 4-3 Western Athletic Conference), which snapped a three-game losing streak.
Luke Babbitt scored 29 points for Nevada (12-8, 4-3), including 10 in a row as the Wolf Pack trimmed a 17-point deficit to five with 3:43 remaining.
But Smith's three-point play put Fresno State ahead 78-70 with 3:20 left, and Nevada got no closer than seven the rest of the way.
The Bulldogs played without leading scorer Paul George, who sprained his right ankle in Thursday's loss against Utah State. The sophomore forward could miss up to three weeks, coach Steve Cleveland said.
- AP Source: Former UNLV coach Dave Rice hired at Nevada Apr 25
- Nevada defends hire of Cal assistant accused of harassment Apr 15
- Nevada hires former Cal assistant Yann Hufnagel Apr 9
- Throwback centers featured in Denver's Midwest Regional Mar 16
- West leaves Nevada hoops; ex-star cites personal reasons Dec 15
- Nevada picks Eric Musselman as men's coach Mar 25
- Wyoming outlasts Fresno State in triple OT Jan 18
- Cowboys visit Bulldogs in pivotal Mountain West clash Jan 17
- Siena downs Fresno State in CBI final Apr 5
- Bulldogs and Saints meet in CBI rubber match Apr 5
- Fresno State routs Siena, ties CBI Apr 2
- Siena seeks CBI crown in showdown with Fresno State Apr 2