UC Riverside pulls away late for 65-56 victoryJan 24, 2010 - 6:36 AM IRVINE, Calif.(AP) -- Dwight Gordon scored 19 points and Kyle Austin had 18 Saturday as UC Riverside snapped a five-game losing streak with a 65-56 victory over UC Irvine.
The Highlanders (8-11, 2-5 Big West) scored the final eight points of the game to pull away in what had been a back-and-forth game that featured 21 lead changes and 15 ties.
Neither team led by more than three points in the second half until Riverside broke a 52-52 tie on back-to-back baskets by Gordon and a free throw from Austin with 2:41 left in the game.
Irvine (9-11, 3-5) hit four straight free throws to pull within 57-56 with 1:24 remaining, but a jumper by Austin and six straight free throws in the final minute closed out the victory.
Irvine was led by Michael Hunter with 20 points and Eric Wise with 14.
Lateef McMullen added 11 points for Riverside.
- NCAA BB
UC RIVERSIDE 65
UC IRVINE 56 FINAL
Jan 24 1:02 AM
- NCAA BB
UC RIVERSIDE 24
UC IRVINE 27 HALFTIME
Jan 23 11:47 PM
- Louisville edges UC Irvine, avoids upset Mar 20
- Anteaters hope to sniff out victory against seasoned Cardinals Mar 20
- UC Irvine tops Hawaii to win Big West Mar 15
- Hawaii and Anteaters battle for Big West title Mar 14
- Highlanders and Aztecs mix it up in non-conference action Dec 22
- No. 25 Utah hammers UC Riverside Nov 21
- Utes seek turnaround against visiting Highlanders Nov 21
- Arizona runs away from UC Irvine Nov 20
- No. 2 Arizona plays host to UC Irvine Nov 19
- Oregon thumps UC Irvine, moves to 10-0 Dec 18
- Anteaters face tall task in clash with undefeated Ducks Dec 17
- UC Irvine coach Turner lands contract extension Nov 7