Florida Gulf Coast edges Mercer 71-70Jan 24, 2010 - 10:33 PM FORT MYERS, Fla.(AP) -- Anthony Banks hit a layup with 3 seconds left to send Florida Gulf Coast to a 71-70 victory over Mercer on Sunday.
E.J. Kusnyer's 3-pointer gave Mercer a 70-69 lead with 29 seconds to play. Reed Baker missed a 3-pointer, but Banks got the rebound and hit the game-winning shot to snap a six-game losing streak.
Banks finished with 12 points for the Eagles (6-13, 3-6 Atlantic Sun Conference), who led 69-65 with 49 seconds left, before James Florence hit a layup with 45 seconds left to set up Kusnyer's 3-pointer.
Kyle Marks, who led the Eagles with 14 points, scored eight straight points in an 11-1 run to build a 54-43 lead with 12:21 remaining.
Derrick O'Neil added 13 for Florida Gulf Coast.
Daniel Emerson scored 19 and had 14 rebounds for Mercer (9-10, 5-4). Brian Mills and Kusnyer had 12 points each, Florence added 11 and Jeff Smith scored 10 for the Bears.
- NCAA BB
FLA GULF COAST 71 FINAL
Jan 24 4:08 PM
- NCAA BB
FLA GULF COAST 36 HALFTIME
Jan 24 3:00 PM
- FGCU hoops coach Dooley gets 2-year extension through 2020 May 7
- Tar Heels aim to stay on defensive vs. Eagles in NCAAs Mar 16
- Tennessee cruises past Mercer to reach Sweet 16 Mar 23
- Mercer seeks another upset in clash with Tennessee Mar 23
- Mercer's late rally stuns Duke Mar 21
- Blue Devils and Bears meet in Midwest Regional battle Mar 21
- Mercer takes out Florida Gulf Coast for Atlantic Sun crown Mar 9
- Eagles and Bears meet in A-Sun title game Mar 9
- Dooley tabbed as FGCU men's basketball coach Apr 17
- Cinderella's run ends; Gators oust FGCU Mar 30
- Surprising Eagles set sights on Gators in Sweet 16 Mar 28
- FGCU moves into Sweet 16 by stunning Aztecs Mar 25