Southern Illinois holds off Western Kentucky 68-63Jan 26, 2010 - 4:00 AM CARBONDALE, Ill.(AP) -- Kevin Dillard scored 17 points and had 10 assists as Southern Illinois defeated Western Kentucky 68-63 Monday night.
Carlton Fay added 17 points, Tony Freeman 12 and Gene Teague 10 and nine rebounds for the Salukis (12-7).
Steffphon Pettigrew scored 15 points, and A.J. Slaughter had 14 for the Hilltoppers (11-9), who have lost four straight.
Dillard finished three rebounds shy of a triple-double and secured the victory by scoring the final three points for Southern Illinois. He also set up Fay for a key 3-pointer with 1:22 remaining after Western Kentucky used a 5-0 run to pull within 62-60.
The game featured 14 lead changes, eight ties and zero fast-break points. The Hilltoppers' last lead was 50-49 with 9:15 to play.
The Salukis led 38-33 at intermission after scoring the final six points of the first half.
- Wichita State tops SIU in MVC QFs Mar 6
- Salukis seek upset of Shockers in MVC Tournament Mar 6
- Wichita State cruises past Southern Illinois Feb 17
- Salukis face tall task in clash with 13th-ranked Shockers Feb 17
- Northern Iowa stays hot with win over Southern Illinois Jan 28
- MVC melee pits Panthers against Salukis Jan 28
- Carter scores 25 as Wichita State beats Southern Illinois Jan 14
- Salukis face uphill climb in clash with 13th-ranked Shockers Jan 14
- Wichita State goes to 26-0 after beating Southern Illinois Feb 11
- Salukis seek upset of fourth-ranked Shockers Feb 11
- Wichita State drops Southern Illinois in MVC opener Jan 3
- Shockers seeks revenge in MVC opener against Salukis Jan 2