Maryland beats Miami 81-59, gains 1st place in ACCJan 27, 2010 - 2:07 AM By DAVID GINSBURG AP Sports Writer
COLLEGE PARK, Md.(AP) -- Greivis Vasquez and Landon Milbourne each scored 16 points, and Maryland pounced on Miami at the outset Tuesday night in an 81-59 rout that gave the Terrapins sole possession of first place in the Atlantic Coast Conference.
Maryland (14-5, 4-1) scored the game's first six points, increased the margin to 21 just before halftime and cruised to its fourth straight win. Eric Hayes and Sean Mosley had 10 points apiece, and Vasquez finished with nine assists.
The victory pushed the surprising Terrapins a half-game ahead of Virginia in the ACC.
Combined with an 88-64 win over North Carolina State on Saturday, Maryland has recorded successive 20-point victories in the conference for the first time since February 2003.
Durand Scott scored 13 for last-place Miami (15-5, 1-5). The Hurricanes committed 14 turnovers and took only 16 shots in the pivotal first half.
- Australian Vasiljevic signs to play basketball for Miami Apr 13
- Maryland's Stone to sign agent, Trimble declares for draft Apr 11
- Maryland junior Robert Carter enters name in NBA draft Apr 7
- Miami Hurricanes sophomore James Palmer decides to transfer Mar 28
- Maryland's late-season fade leads into offseason of change Mar 25
- No. 5 Maryland outworked by top-seeded Kansas in Sweet 16 Mar 25
- Miami falls to 0-3 in Sweet 16, routed 92-69 by Villanova Mar 25
- Top-seeded Kansas expects battle from No. 5 Maryland Mar 24
- Friendship will take a backseat in Villanova-Miami matchup Mar 23
- Maryland assumes underdog role against top-seeded Kansas Mar 22
- Miami plays Villanova with chance at 1st Elite 8 berth Mar 21
- No. 13 seed Hawaii to play 4th-seeded Maryland Mar 19