Long, George Mason hold off Delaware 77-66Jan 28, 2010 - 2:25 AM FAIRFAX, Va.(AP) -- Cam Long scored 18 points and George Mason jumped out to a big halftime advantage to defeat Delaware 77-66 on Wednesday night.
The Patriots (14-7, 9-1 Colonial Athletic Association) won their sixth straight game and 16th in a row at home against a conference opponent.
After George Mason took a 38-17 halftime lead, the Blue Hens used a 6-0 run - capped by a steal and layup by Alphonso Dawson - to pull within 66-54 with 4:08 remaining. Delaware, however, wasn't unable to cut the deficit to single digits as the Patriots sealed the win at the foul line, hitting 8 of 10 free throws down the stretch.
Andre Cornelius scored 12 of his 13 points in the first half for the Patriots.
Jawan Carter had 23 points for the Blue Hens (6-15, 2-8), who shot 50 percent from the field (20-for-40) in the second half after shooting just 23 percent (7-for-30) in the first half.
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
DELAWARE 17 49 66
GEORGE MASON 38 39 77 FINAL
HIGH SCORERS: DELAWARE - JAWAN CARTER 23, ALPHONSO DAWSON 10,
ADAM PEGG 10
GEORGE MASON - CAM LONG 18, ANDRE CORNELIUS 13, LOUIS
HIGH REBOUND: DELAWARE - JOSH BRINKLEY 7, ADAM PEGG 6,
JAMELLE HAGINS 5
GEORGE MASON - LOUIS BIRDSO
Jan 27 9:44 PM
- NCAA BB
GEORGE MASON 38 HALFTIME
Jan 27 7:45 PM
- Delaware fires men's basketball coach Monte Ross Mar 18
- Late free throw helps Delaware top Fairleigh Dickinson 73-72 Nov 24
- George Mason senior Patrick Holloway suspended for 6 games Nov 10
- George Mason hires Bucknell's Paulsen as coach Mar 30
- George Mason dismisses Paul Hewitt Mar 16
- Short-handed VCU handles George Mason Feb 5
- George Mason entertains No. 18 Virginia Commonwealth Feb 4
- Oklahoma downs George Mason Dec 31
- 18th-ranked Sooners play host to Patriots Dec 31
- Villanova routs Delaware Nov 30
- Undefeated Wildcats entertain hapless Blue Hens Nov 30
- Delaware's Threatt kicked off team Jun 10