Virginia Commonwealth trounces Towson 112-53Jan 28, 2010 - 4:07 AM RICHMOND, Va.(AP) -- Bradford Burgess scored 22 points as Virginia Commonwealth shot 63.1 percent from the floor (41-for-65) and trounced Towson 112-53 on Wednesday night.
The Rams (14-5, 6-4 Colonial Athletic Association) made a school-record 20 3-pointers on 33 attempts, matching the conference record. Their 112 points were their most since they got 120 against Southeastern on Dec. 9, 1978.
The Rams hit their first seven shots and led 55-32 at the half. They began the second half on a 24-6 run while Towson (4-16, 1-9) missed nine of its first 10 shots.
Larry Sanders had 17 points and 14 rebounds in 19 minutes, Brandon Rozzell added 16 points and Jay Gavin 14 points for VCU, and Joey Rodriguez's 13 assists were the most in the conference this season. The Rams outrebounded Towson 46-21.
Jarrel Smith and Josh Thornton had 12 points for Towson, which lost for the 11th time in 12 games.
- NCAA BB
VA COMMONWEALTH 112 FINAL
Jan 27 9:37 PM
- NCAA BB
VA COMMONWEALTH 55 HALFTIME
Jan 27 8:22 PM
- Things looking more normal for Wade in Year 2 at VCU May 13
- VCU announces sophomore F Michael Gilmore is transferring May 3
- VCU restructures, extends contract of men's hoops coach Wade Mar 29
- Oklahoma faces another dangerous double-digit seed in VCU Mar 19
- Payton II following in father's NCAA footsteps at Oregon St Mar 17
- VCU hoping to find winning formula again in NCAA Tournament Mar 16
- VCU seeking another shot at A10 Tournament championship Mar 9
- JeQuan Lewis' growth at PG a key to VCU's winning streak Feb 5
- VCU coach Will Wade says surging Rams can't get complacent Jan 21
- Broken finger likely to sideline VCU's Burgess 'a few weeks' Jan 11
- Wade to begin VCU's post-Shaka era with modified 'Havoc' Nov 10
- Wade leaves Chattanooga to return to VCU Apr 7