Long Island U. 58, Robert Morris 66Jan 29, 2010 - 3:45 AM MOON TOWNSHIP, Pa. (AP) -- Velton Jones scored 21 points and Robert Morris defeated Long Island 66-58 on Thursday night.
Mezie Nwigwe added 20 points, including going 10-for-10 from the foul line, and Ron Robinson had 12 for the Colonials (13-8, 8-1 Northeast Conference). The win kept the Colonials tied atop the conference with Quinipiac.
The Colonials led 32-29 at halftime and neither team led by more than four points until the final seven minutes. Leading 56-54 with 2:36 to play, the Colonials were 8-for-8 from the free throw line the rest of the way.
Gary Wallace and Nwigwe each canned two free throws in the final 17 seconds.
The Colonials have won six straight and nine of their past 10.
Jamal Olasewere scored 13 points to lead the Blackbirds (8-12, 6-3). Kyle Johnson added 11 and David Hicks had 10 for the Blackbirds, who lost for the fifth time in the past six games in the series.
- NCAA BB
LONG ISLAND 58
ROBERT MORRIS 66 FINAL
Jan 28 9:39 PM
- NCAA BB
LONG ISLAND 29
ROBERT MORRIS 32 HALFTIME
Jan 28 8:19 PM
- Toole gets extension at Robert Morris Apr 15
- Duke crushes Robert Morris in NCAA opener Mar 21
- Colonials and Blue Devils mix it up in NCAA Tourney Mar 20
- Robert Morris rallies past North Florida in First Four Mar 18
- Colonials and Ospreys clash in NCAA Tournament Mar 18
- Robert Morris downs St. Francis-NY for NEC crown Mar 10
- Terriers take on Colonials in NEC title tilt Mar 10
- No. 6 Tar Heels beat Robert Morris 103-59 Nov 17
- Colonials tangle with sixth-ranked Tar Heels Nov 16
- Mount St. Mary's and Robert Morris meet in NEC title tilt Mar 11
- Forte, Cowboys crush Colonials Dec 31
- Cowboys clash with Colonials in non-league fray Dec 30