Georgia Southern rallies past The Citadel 61-58Jan 29, 2010 - 3:18 AM STATESBORO, Ga.(AP) -- Willie Powers scored 19 points, including Georgia Southern's last six, and the Eagles rallied to beat The Citadel 61-58 on Thursday night.
The Eagles (6-16, 3-6 Southern Conference) erased a 21-point deficit after trailing 44-23 with 16:50 to play. Trailing by seven points with 4:07 remaining, the Eagles closed the game on a 13-3 run.
A layup by Powers narrowed the gap to 58-57 with 1:08 to play. Powers gave the Eagles the lead at 59-58 on a jumper with 16 seconds to play. Powers was fouled after a turnover by The Citadel and made both free throws with 7 seconds left for the final margin.
Zach Urbanus missed a 3-pointer at the buzzer for the Bulldogs.
Antonio Hanson added 11 points for the Eagles and Ben Drayton came off the bench to score 10.
Cameron Wells scored 25 points for the Bulldogs (10-11, 4-5), who had won three straight against the Eagles.
- NCAA BB
THE CITADEL 58
GA SOUTHERN 61 FINAL
Jan 28 9:12 PM
- NCAA BB
THE CITADEL 32
GA SOUTHERN 21 HALFTIME
Jan 28 7:56 PM
- Citadel hires VMI coach Baucom Mar 30
- Georgia State makes NCAAs for 1st time since 2001 Mar 15
- Georgia pride and Sun Belt title up for grabs Mar 15
- Spartans seek redemption in clash with Bulldogs Dec 22
- Davidson vs. Citadel moved to Monday due to storm Feb 11
- Georgia Southern tabs Byington as men's basketball coach Apr 1
- Georgia Southern dismisses Young after 4 seasons Mar 12
- Appalachian State knocks off The Citadel 71-61 Mar 6
- Chattanooga tops Georgia Southern 82-62 Mar 5
- The Citadel tops Samford 55-43 in SoCon tournament Mar 5
- UNC-Greenboro holds off Georgia Southern 81-79 Mar 1
- Dahlman scores 18, Wofford beats The Citadel 75-66 Feb 27