Iona defeats Marist 61-42, wins 7th straightJan 29, 2010 - 3:36 AM NEW ROCHELLE, N.Y.(AP) -- Alejo Rodriguez scored 13 points, grabbed 11 rebounds and had five blocks to help Iona defeat Marist 61-42 on Thursday night.
Scott Machado chipped in 14 points and six assists as the Gaels (16-6, 6-3 Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference) won their seventh straight.
Iona shot 41 percent from the field (25 of 61), compared to a 32.6 percent (15 of 46) effort by Marist (1-20, 1-10).
The Gaels scored 22 points off 22 turnovers, and scored 40 points in the paint.
Iona led by as many as 19 points twice in handing Marist its ninth straight loss.
Rodriguez put the Gaels ahead 55-36 on a dunk with 7:12 remaining. Chris Pelcher's layup gave Iona a 61-42 lead with 2:20 to play.
Candon Rusin had 12 points, Rob Johnson 11 and Devin Price 10 for Marist.
- Morris and Iowa State race past Iona 94-81 Mar 17
- Iona spoiled Monmouth bench mob party Mar 16
- Iona's suspends Washington 2 games for slap Jan 17
- Sophomore Much receives NCAA waiver, can play right away Nov 15
- Iona gives hoops coach Cluess extension Mar 26
- Manhattan pulls away late, bests Iona for MAAC title Mar 9
- Manhattan takes on Iona in MAAC title tilt Mar 9
- Arkansas 6-0 after win over Iona Nov 30
- Gaels and Hogs mix it up to close holiday weekend Nov 30
- Marist hires Maker to replace Bower Jun 17
- Manhattan edges Iona for MAAC title Mar 10
- MAAC title on line in clash between Jaspers and Gaels Mar 10