Saint Mary's, Calif., flies past Pepperdine 88-71Jan 29, 2010 - 5:20 AM MALIBU, Calif.(AP) -- Mickey McConnell's career-high 26 points led Saint Mary's, Calif., to an 88-71 victory over Pepperdine on Thursday night.
Omar Samhan, the West Coast Conference's top scorer and rebounder, nearly posted a 20-20 game. He finished with 23 points and a career-high-tying 19 rebounds for the Gaels (18-3, 5-1) in his 12th double-double of the season.
Ben Allen added 19 points, and McConnell tied a career best with six 3-pointers.
Keion Bell led the Waves (7-15, 3-3) with 24 points and seven rebounds. It was the third time in a row and 12th time this season Bell had scored 20 or more points.
Mychel Thompson added 16 and Lorne Jackson 14.
Saint Mary's shot 56.1 percent (32 of 57) to Pepperdine's 36.4 percent (28 of 77). The Gaels also held a 43-36 edge on the boards.
The Gaels won for the eighth time in their last nine games.
- Pepperdine extends Wilson Jun 5
- Gonzaga beats Pepperdine to reach WCC final Mar 10
- Bulldogs battle Waves in WCC semifinals Mar 9
- Gonzaga comes alive late to top Saint Mary's Feb 22
- Zags seek multiple milestones in WCC showdown with Gaels Feb 21
- Gonzaga slips past Pepperdine in 2nd half Feb 14
- Waves hope to come crashing down on third-ranked Bulldogs Feb 14
- No. 3 Gonzaga pulls away to rout St. Mary's Jan 23
- Gaels and Zags square off in pivotal WCC clash Jan 22
- No. 3 Gonzaga edges Pepperdine Jan 16
- Waves hope to wash away third-ranked Bulldogs Jan 15
- Harrison guides St. John's past St. Mary's Dec 20