UW-Milwaukee upends Valparaiso in 85-82 thrillerJan 30, 2010 - 3:38 AM MILWAUKEE(AP) -- Ricky Franklin nailed a 3-pointer with 2 seconds left after Jason Averkamp had scored 15 straight points for Wisconsin-Milwaukee in an 85-82 victory over Valparaiso on Friday night.
Both players finished with 22 points for the Panthers (13-9, 5-5 Horizon League), who led 55-54 when Averkamp sank a free throw. When his streak ended on another free throw with 4:46 left, Wisconsin-Milwaukee led 70-65.
No other Panther had a point for almost eight minutes as Averkamp outscored Valparaiso 15-11.
The Panthers led 80-73 with 2:08 left, but the Crusaders (10-12, 5-5) rallied and tied it 82-82 with 27 seconds left on Brandon McPherson's 3-pointer. That set the stage for Franklin's winner.
James Eayrs scored 17 points for the Panthers, including 15 in the first half.
Cory Johnson led Valparaiso with 21 points. McPherson added 17 and Brandon Wood 12 for the Crusaders, whose four-game winning streak ended.
- NCAA BB
WISC MILWAUKEE 85 FINAL
Jan 29 10:16 PM
- NCAA BB
WISC MILWAUKEE 42 HALFTIME
Jan 29 8:56 PM
- Milwaukee hires Michigan assistant LaVall Jordan as coach Apr 7
- Lottich succeeds Drew as basketball coach at Valparaiso Apr 7
- Fired Milwaukee coach Rob Jeter: It's been a difficult day Mar 17
- Correction: Northern Kentucky-Valparaiso story Feb 16
- Ball State hangs on to beat Valparaiso 69-66 Nov 28
- Maryland survives Valparaiso to advance Mar 20
- Terps open NCAA Tournament play against Crusaders Mar 20
- Valpo comes back to beat Green Bay in Horizon final Mar 10
- Crusaders clash with Phoenix for Horizon League crown Mar 10
- Wisconsin rolls over Milwaukee Dec 10
- Panthers seek upset of fifth-ranked Badgers Dec 10
- Wisconsin-Milwaukee banned from postseason Apr 9