Rider defeats Fairfield 88-80Jan 30, 2010 - 11:42 PM BRIDGEPORT, Conn.(AP) -- Ryan Thompson scored 31 points and Rider defeated Fairfield 88-80 on Saturday.
Thompson, who made 15 of 16 free throw attempts, also grabbed 11 rebounds. Justin Robinson added 15 points and Novar Gadson had 14 for the Broncs (13-11, 6-6 Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference), who have won three games in a row.
Leading 62-58, the Broncs went on a 16-4 run to grab their biggest lead of the game at 78-62 after a free throw by Gadson with 5:50 remaining. Fairfield cut the lead to 78-74, but Rider made 10 of 12 free throw attempts in the final 2:18 to seal the win. Thompson and Gadson each made four free throws down the stretch.
Derek Needham had 20 points and 10 assists to lead the Stags (15-7, 8-4). Anthony Johnson also had a double-double with 12 points and 10 rebounds, and Yorel Hawkins added 14 points for the Stags.
- NCAA BB
FAIRFIELD 80 FINAL
Jan 30 6:04 PM
- NCAA BB
FAIRFIELD 37 HALFTIME
Jan 30 4:51 PM
- Correction: T25-Rider-Maryland story Nov 23
- No. 20 Michigan State trounces Rider Nov 28
- Orlando Classic action pits Spartans against Broncs Nov 27
- No. 11 Kansas easily gets past Rider Nov 25
- Rider faces tall task in clash with Kansas Nov 24
- No. 4 Duke reaches triple digits in rout of Fairfield Nov 15
- No. 4 Duke gets right back to work against Fairfield Nov 15
- Villanova crushes Rider, moves to 11-0 Dec 21
- Villanova continues run against Rider Dec 21
- Harrell lifts Louisville over Fairfield Nov 23
- Hall of Fame Tip Off pits Cardinals against Stags Nov 23
- Dempsey leaving Rider for Binghamton May 24