Towson 58, N.C.-Wilmington 53Jan 31, 2010 - 2:08 AM WILMINGTON, N.C. (AP) -- Josh Thornton scored 13 points and Towson snapped a four-game losing streak with a 58-53 win over North Carolina-Wilmington on Saturday.
Calvin Lee had a double-double with 12 points and 12 rebounds, and Jarrel Smith added 11 points for the Tigers (5-16, 2-9 Colonial Athletic Association), who had lost eight of their previous nine games.
The score was tied seven times before the Tigers took the lead for good at 50-48 on a jumper by Thornton with 4:52 to play.
The game was the first for the Seahawks since assistant Brooks Lee took over as interim head coach. Former coach Benny Moss, who was 41-74 in four seasons with the Seahawks, was reassigned Friday to another position within the athletic department.
John Fields had 13 points and 21 rebounds for the Seahawks (7-15, 3-8), who have lost seven of their last eight games. Chad Tomko and Ahmad Grant each scored 11.
- It's David vs. Goliath when UNC Wilmington meets Duke Mar 17
- Louisville holds off UNCW Dec 14
- Fourth-ranked Cardinals set sights on Seahawks Dec 14
- Skerry's contract extended through 2020 May 2
- UNC-Wilmington hires Louisville assistant Keatts Mar 27
- Peterson out as UNCW head coach Mar 11
- No. 19 North Carolina cruises past UNC-Wilmington Dec 31
- Seahawks and Tar Heels meet in New Year's Eve fracas Dec 31
- Wiggins leads Kansas past Towson Nov 22
- Towson hits road to challenge No. 2 Kansas Nov 22
- Towson's Skerry given contract extension Aug 15
- Biedenbach resigns as UNC Asheville head coach Apr 3