Johnson leads Mississippi State past LSU 67-51Jan 30, 2010 - 8:56 PM STARKVILLE, Miss.(AP) -- Ravern Johnson scored 15 points to lead Mississippi State to a 67-51 victory over LSU on Saturday.
Mississippi State (16-5, 4-2 Southeastern Conference) took advantage of a poor shooting performance by LSU to end a two-game conference skid that dropped the Bulldogs into second place in the conference's Western Division.
The Tigers (9-12, 0-7) shot 34.6 percent (18-for-52) from the field in the game and went 5-for-15 from beyond the arc.
Mississippi State opened the game on a 10-2 run and led 23-15 at halftime.
The Bulldogs extended their lead to 37-21 in the opening minutes of the second half and never trailed.
Jarvis Varnado scored 11 points and grabbed 10 rebounds for the Bulldogs. Barry Stewart and Phil Turner added 12 points each.
Tasmin Mitchell scored a game-high 26 points and had 10 rebounds.
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
LSU 15 36 51
MISSISSIPPI STATE 23 44 67 FINAL
HIGH SCORERS: LSU - TASMIN MITCHELL 26, BO SPENCER 9,
CHRIS BEATTIE 5
MISSISSIPPI STATE - RAVERN JOHNSON 15, BARRY STEWART 12,
PHIL TURNER 12
Jan 30 3:42 PM
- NCAA BB
MISSISSIPPI ST 23 HALFTIME
Jan 30 2:32 PM
- LSU coach: Guard Tim Quarterman leaving for NBA draft Mar 28
- Mississippi St G Newman opts for NBA draft, won't hire agent Mar 22
- LSU freshman Ben Simmons announces he'll enter the NBA draft Mar 21
- LSU coach takes responsibility for disappointing season Mar 15
- LSU coach: Tigers won't play in any postseason tourneys Mar 13
- LSU says Ben Simmons ineligible for Wooden Award Mar 5
- Weatherspoon leading Mississippi State's resurgence Feb 23
- Mississippi State still trying to turn corner under Howland Jan 15
- Simmons confident LSU will raise game vs. tougher schedule Dec 28
- Fast start by LSU's Simmons compares well to recent greats Dec 4
- Mississippi State suspends F Demetrius Houston indefinitely Nov 17
- LSU hoping Simmons, Blakeney make Tigers an SEC power Oct 29