Smith leads NC State past NC Central 77-42Jan 30, 2010 - 9:30 PM RALEIGH, N.C.(AP) -- Tracy Smith scored 23 points and North Carolina State took a break from ACC play with a 77-42 victory over North Carolina Central on Saturday.
The Wolfpack (14-8) improved to 84-11 in nonconference games at the RBC Center, which opened 11 seasons ago.
This one was a mismatch on paper, but N.C. State struggled against the Eagles (4-19), who took the lead early and didnt surrender it until 6:37 remained in the first half.
But a 15-2 run to close the first half gave N.C. State a 27-20 lead and N.C. Central made just two of its first 19 second-half shots as the Wolfpacks lead grew quickly.
Smiths layup with 8:47 remaining gave him 23 points on 11 shots and put the Wolfpack in front 53-34. Smith was 5-for-5 from the floor in the second half and 9-for-11 overall.
A winter storm helped limit attendance in the 19,700-seat building to less than 20 percent of capacity.
- NC State's Anya opts out of draft, returns for senior season May 20
- NC State forward Abdul-Malik Abu pulls out of NBA Draft May 19
- NC State adds 7-foot Turkish center Omer Yurtseven May 16
- NC State's 1983 NCAA championship team to visit White House Apr 28
- Twins Caleb and Cody Martin transferring from NC State Mar 24
- NC State junior Anthony 'Cat' Barber to remain in NBA draft Mar 22
- Gottfried, Wolfpack focused on returning to NCAAs next year Mar 15
- NC State assistant Moxley moving to support role after year Mar 6
- NC State's Barber carries heavy load for struggling Wolfpack Mar 4
- Wolfpack's Henderson still working back from ankle injury Feb 5
- NC State keeping eye on 'Cat' Barber's injured knee Jan 25
- Highly recruited Smith assisting NC State from sideline Jan 22