Illinois beats Indiana at the buzzer 72-70Jan 30, 2010 - 9:31 PM CHAMPAIGN, Ill.(AP) -- Demetri McCamey scored 19 points, including the game-winner at the buzzer, to lead Illinois to a 72-70 comeback win over Indiana on Saturday.
The victory put Illinois (14-8, 6-3) into a tie for second in the Big Ten with Wisconsin. It also kept the Illini's NCAA tournament hopes alive.
McCamey hit the winner on a running jumper at the buzzer. He took a pass from Bill Cole and drove the right side of the lane before launching the shot.
Mike Tisdale added 12 points. That included four key free throws in the final two minutes.
Indiana (9-11, 3-5) was led by Champaign native Verdell Jones, who scored 22. They included eight points in a late-first-half run that turned a 32-20 Illini lead into a 36-36 tie at the half.
- NCAA BB
ILLINOIS 72 FINAL
Jan 30 4:19 PM
- NCAA BB
ILLINOIS 36 HALFTIME
Jan 30 2:59 PM
- Illinois' Tate rejoins basketball team after case dropped May 20
- Prosecutor: Case against Illinois' Jaylon Tate dropped May 19
- Brown gets new job at Illinois; Nunn pleads in battery case May 18
- Illinois' Nunn pleads guilty to misdemeanor, gets probation May 18
- Groce: Illinois' Black reinstated, will sit out 6 games May 6
- 9 years after Chief's end, Illinois looks for mascot May 2
- Blackmon Jr. declares for NBA draft without hiring agent Apr 25
- Illinois' Leron Black gets probation for threatening bouncer Apr 21
- Indiana forward Troy Williams enters NBA draft, could return Apr 12
- Thomas Bryant to return for sophomore season at Indiana Apr 7
- Deal would reduce charge, let Illinois' Black avoid jail Apr 4
- Former Indiana Hoosiers star Archie Dees dies at age 80 Apr 4