Wright leads Cincinnati over Providence 92-88Jan 31, 2010 - 3:26 AM By JOE KAY AP Sports Writer
CINCINNATI(AP) -- Redshirt freshman Cashmere Wright scored a career-high 24 points, nine of them during a 16-1 run in the second half that swept Cincinnati to a 92-88 victory over Providence on Saturday night.
Wright, who had lost his starting job and was benched for a game, returned to the starting lineup on Saturday and steadied Cincinnati (14-7, 5-4 Big East) through a wide-open game by making nine of his 11 shots and getting five assists.
Providence (12-9, 4-5) got the back-and-forth pace it likes, but couldn't hold on to the ball during the Bearcats' decisive run. The Friars had five turnovers during the 5-minute spurt.
Cincinnati's poor free-throw shooting (20 of 41) allowed the Friars to make a late comeback. Sharaud Curry's 3 with 6.6 seconds left cut it to 91-88, but Jaquon Parker made the second of his two free throws to clinch it.
Curry finished with 27 points.
- NCAA BB
CINCINNATI 92 FINAL
Jan 30 10:17 PM
- NCAA BB
CINCINNATI 44 HALFTIME
Jan 30 8:51 PM
- Cooley hopes to be at Providence 'for life' with extension Mar 30
- Cincinnati says Mick Cronin is staying after talks with UNLV Mar 25
- Providence's Bentil declares for NBA draft, won't hire agent Mar 23
- A late dunk, a last-second 3 add to Cincinnati's heartbreak Mar 21
- Friars relying on Dunn-Bentil duo vs. top-seeded Tar Heels Mar 18
- Saint Joseph's and Cincinnati to play in 1st round of NCAAs Mar 17
- NCAA wins scarce lately for Providence, Southern Cal Mar 16
- Providence adjusting from latest bite from injury bug Feb 4
- Providence's Bentil listed as day-to-day after ankle injury Feb 4
- Providence wins 60-59 after Illinois misses flurry of shots Nov 18
- Cincinnati routs Robert Morris 106-44 Nov 15
- Dunn staying at Providence Apr 24