Balanced attack leads Saints Mary's to 85-67 winJan 31, 2010 - 5:38 AM LOS ANGELES(AP) -- Omar Samhan led a balanced Saint Mary's offense with 19 points and 13 rebounds Saturday as the Gaels defeated Loyola Marymount 85-67.
Mickey McConnell added 16 points and six assists for Saint Mary's (19-3, 6-1 West Coast), which won its fourth straight game. Matthew Dellavedova and Ben Allen added 15 points each.
That was enough to overcome the Loyola Marymount duo of Drew Viney and Kevin Young, who had 27 points each and accounted for 81 percent of the Lions' scoring output. Loyola (11-12, 2-5) shot only 38 percent (23 for 60) from the field and 50 percent (15 for 30) from the free-throw line.
Saint Mary's, which never trailed in the game, was on top 45-30 at halftime and led by as many as 23 in the second half. The Gaels shot 45.6 percent (31 of 68) from the field, including 12 of 27 3-point attempts.
- Gonzaga comes alive late to top Saint Mary's Feb 22
- Zags seek multiple milestones in WCC showdown with Gaels Feb 21
- No. 3 Gonzaga blows past Loyola Marymount Feb 13
- Lions face tall task in clash with third-ranked Bulldogs Feb 12
- No. 3 Gonzaga pulls away to rout St. Mary's Jan 23
- Gaels and Zags square off in pivotal WCC clash Jan 22
- Balanced Zags beat LMU Jan 18
- First vs. worst in the WCC, as Zags visit Lions Jan 17
- Wichita State has no problem with Loyola Marymount Dec 23
- Lions and Shockers meet in Diamond Head Classic Dec 22
- Harrison guides St. John's past St. Mary's Dec 20
- Gaels come calling on 20th-ranked Red Storm Dec 19