Delaware State beats Hampton 58-56Jan 30, 2010 - 11:58 PM DOVER, Del.(AP) -- Marcus Neal scored on a go-ahead layup with 26 seconds left and Terron Stowe sank a free throw with 1 second left, lifting Delaware State to a 58-56 win over Hampton on Saturday.
In a game that was close throughout, Charles Funches dropped in a layup to put the Pirates up 56-55 with 58 seconds left. On the Hornets' next possession, after a pair of missed 3-point attempts, Neal's layup sealed the win for Delaware State (10-8, 5-2 Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference).
Kwame Morgan missed a jumper for the Pirates (6-14, 3-5) with 5 seconds left, and Stowe hit his last-second free throw for Delaware State's final margin.
Neal led the Hornets with 16 points, Chad Wilson had 13 and Frisco Sandidge added 10.
Vincent Simpson paced the Pirates with 16 points, Michael Freeman chipped in 13 and Funches finished with 10.
- UVa routs Hampton 81-45 after Bennett collapses, returns Mar 17
- No. 1 seed Virginia keeps focus on Hampton - not Spartans Mar 16
- Delaware State beats D-III Summit U 93-44 for 1st win Jan 4
- Kentucky starts slow, still pummels Hampton Mar 20
- No. 1 Kentucky opens with matchup against Hampton Mar 19
- Hampton tops Manhattan, advances to play Kentucky Mar 18
- Hampton and Manhattan open NCAA Tournament Mar 17
- Hampton tops Delaware State for MEAC title Mar 14
- Hampton, Delaware State battle in MEAC championship Mar 14
- No. 23 Syracuse takes down Hampton Nov 16
- Pirates come calling on 23rd-ranked Orange Nov 16
- Delaware State fires Greg Jackson Jan 31