Winthrop beats Coastal Carolina 67-64Jan 31, 2010 - 12:21 AM ROCK HILL, S.C.(AP) -- Reggie Middleton scored 16 points and Winthrop held on for a 67-64 win Saturday over Coastal Carolina despite going without a field goal in the game's final 3 minutes.
Andy Buechert's jumper put the Eagles ahead 64-55 with 3:01 to play, but that was the last shot Winthrop would hit from the floor. The Chanticleers put together a 7-0 run capped by Kierre Greenwood's three-point play with 2 minutes left.
But Winthrop's timeout after Greenwood's foul shot worked, and the Eagles held the Chanticleers scoreless until the game's final shot. During that span, the Eagles got a pair of free throws from Mantoris Robinson and one from Andre Jones to seal it.
Robinson finished with 15 points for the Eagles (11-10, 7-4 Big South Conference), who have won three straight games and six of seven.
Chad Gray scored 17 points and Mario Edwards added 13 for the Chanticleers (19-4, 9-2).
- NCAA BB
COASTL CAROLINA 64
WINTHROP 67 FINAL
Jan 30 6:07 PM
- NCAA BB
COASTL CAROLINA 24
WINTHROP 26 HALFTIME
Jan 30 4:58 PM
- Northern Iowa's winning culture leads to NCAA bid Mar 11
- Wisconsin eases past Coastal Carolina Mar 21
- Chanticleers face tall task in second-round clash with Badgers Mar 20
- Coastal Carolina tops Winthrop for Big South title Mar 8
- Winthrop meets Coastal Carolina for Big South crown Mar 8
- Terps pull away to beat Winthrop Dec 6
- 21st-ranked Terps tangle with Eagles Dec 6
- Virginia survives scare from Coastal Carolina Mar 22
- Virginia begins tournament run against Coastal Carolina Mar 21
- Coastal Carolina tops Winthrop for Big South crown Mar 9
- Winthrop challenges Chanticleers for Big South title Mar 9
- No. 14 VCU pulls away from Winthrop Nov 16