Haynes scores 21 as Texas-Arlington wins 82-78Jan 31, 2010 - 12:00 AM SAN MARCOS, Texas(AP) -- Marquez Haynes had 21 points and five assists Saturday as Texas-Arlington held off Texas State 82-78 in a foul-plagued game.
Both teams shot 46 free throws; Arlington made 33 and Texas State 26.
Dwight Gentry and Tommy Moffitt added 13 points each for the Mavericks (10-9, 2-4 Southland), and Brandon Long had 12.
Cameron Johnson had 21 points and 11 rebounds for Texas State (10-11, 4-3). John Rybak added 16 points and Ryan White had 14 points and 10 assists.
Arlington took the lead for good, 55-52, with 8:59 remaining on a 3-pointer by Long. The Mavericks led by as many as eight down the stretch before Texas State rallied.
Haynes missed 3 of 4 free throws in the final minute to allow the Bobcats to pull within 80-78 on a jumper by Johnson with 11 seconds remaining, but Moffitt countered with two free throws with 7 seconds left to clinch it.
- NCAA BB
TEXAS ARLINGTON 82
TEXAS STATE 78 FINAL
Jan 30 5:37 PM
- NCAA BB
TEXAS ARLINGTON 37
TEXAS STATE 37 HALFTIME
Jan 30 4:04 PM
- Longhorns rout Texas State Dec 13
- Lone Star State showdown pits Longhorns against Bobcats Dec 13
- Longhorns fend off Texas-Arlington Dec 3
- Mavericks face tall task in meeting with Longhorns Dec 2
- No. 1 Kentucky routs UT-Arlington 92-44 Nov 26
- Mavericks face uphill climb in clash with top-ranked Wildcats Nov 25
- Young, Kentucky top UTA Nov 19
- Mavericks face uphill climb in clash with fourth-ranked Wildcats Nov 19
- Texas State tabs Kaspar as men's hoops coach Apr 5
- New Mexico State wins WAC Mar 17
- Mavericks square off with Aggies in WAC championship game Mar 16
- Oklahoma State pounds UT-Arlington Dec 19