Downey helps South Carolina rally past GeorgiaJan 31, 2010 - 2:14 AM By PETE IACOBELLI AP Sports Writer
COLUMBIA, S.C.(AP) -- Devan Downey had 33 points including the driving basket with 50 seconds left that gave South Carolina a 78-77 victory over Georgia on Saturday night.
The Gamecocks (13-8, 4-3 Southeastern Conference) trailed 63-54 with less than 10 minutes remaining and, except for Downey, didn't look anything like the club that took down No. 1 Kentucky 68-62 four nights earlier.
That's when Downey took control, scoring half of South Carolina's 24 points the rest of the way.
Georgia (9-10, 1-5) had a chance to tie or move ahead in the final seconds. But Dustin Ware missed the first of one-and-one foul shots with 3.5 seconds left and South Carolina rebounded to hold on.
Travis Leslie had 21 points to lead the Bulldogs, who have lost their last three games to South Carolina.
Downey, the SEC's leading scorer, has hit for 30 or more points in five of his seven league games this season.
- NCAA BB
SOUTH CAROLINA 78 FINAL
Jan 30 9:04 PM
- NCAA BB
SOUTH CAROLINA 36 HALFTIME
Jan 30 7:54 PM
- Georgia's Juwan Parker granted medical redshirt May 23
- South Carolina forward Raymond Doby leaving the program May 18
- Georgia signs forward Diatta as transfer from Southern Idaho Apr 20
- South Carolina dismisses suspended players Gregory, Cobb Apr 4
- Gamecocks give men's coach Frank Martin 4-year extension Apr 1
- South Carolina got told it was in - except, it wasn't Mar 31
- McGarity believes Georgia program still growing with Fox Mar 30
- Offseason questions loom for Frank Martin, South Carolina Mar 23
- 2 South Carolina players arrested over BB gun shooting Mar 17
- 5 South Carolina players suspended before NIT game Mar 15
- South Carolina moving on from NCAA snub Mar 14
- South Carolina looking to take next step at SEC Tournament Mar 8