Hitchens leads Akron over Toledo 59-45Jan 31, 2010 - 2:41 AM AKRON, Ohio(AP) -- Anthony Hitchens scored 10 of his 13 points in the second half as Akron defeated Toledo 59-45 on Saturday night.
Eight of Hitchens' second-half points came during a 15-2 run when the Zips (15-6, 5-2 Mid-American Conference) turned a 40-36 lead with 8:03 remaining into a 55-38 margin with 5:00 to play.
Turnovers hurt the Rockets (3-18, 0-7), who committed 17 to six by Akron. The Zips led 27-19 after a first half in which they had a 9-0 advantage in points scored off turnovers.
Nicola Cvetinovic added 10 points and six rebounds for Akron.
Malcolm Griffin scored 13 points to lead Toledo, including three layups during an 11-2 second-half run that cut Akron's lead to four points. Jake Barnett scored 11 points for the Rockets.
- Detroit-area gambler sentenced in Toledo sports bribery Oct 1
- Okafor fuels Duke in win over Toledo Dec 30
- Duke gets back to work against Toledo Dec 29
- No. 15 VCU takes down Toledo Nov 18
- Rockets seek upset of 15th-ranked Rams Nov 18
- Western Michigan takes down Toledo to win MAC title Mar 16
- MAC crown to be decided, as Rockets challenge Broncos Mar 15
- Toledo G Drummond suspended Feb 10
- Kansas fends off feisty Toledo Dec 31
- Jayhawks play host to undefeated Rockets Dec 30
- Niang paces Cyclones over Zips Dec 23
- Iowa State and Akron meet in Diamond Head Classic Dec 23