Davis scores 13, Princeton shuts down Yale 58-45Jan 31, 2010 - 2:18 AM NEW HAVEN, Conn.(AP) -- Douglas Davis scored 13 points and Princeton held off Yale 58-45 on Saturday night for the Tigers' ninth win in 10 games.
The first half was close, with Princeton (11-5, 2-0 Ivy League) leading 32-27 at halftime.
The Tigers then went on a 7-2 run to lead 39-29 with 17:10 left, but the Bulldogs (8-13, 2-2) used an 9-0 spurt to tie the game at 39 with 10 minutes to go. Princeton responded with a 9-1 run, then Alex Zampier hit a jumper with 6:26 left to make the score 48-42 with 6:26 left. Yale did not make another field goal the rest of the game.
The Tigers outshot the Bulldogs from the field 51.1 percent (23-for-45) to 35.3 percent (14-for-40) for Yale, which was only 6-for-23 in the second half. The Bulldogs made 14 of 20 free throws.
Princeton scored 18 points off 14 turnovers.
Michael Sands led Yale with 14 points and Zampier added 13.
- Defending champ Duke, upstart Yale ready for 2nd round clash Mar 18
- From controversy to NCAA upset artist, Yale eyeing more Mar 18
- Yale blocks out captain's dismissal heading to NCAA tourney Mar 16
- Former Yale captain says he'll sue school over expulsion Mar 14
- Yale, without captain, celebrates first bid in 54 years Mar 13
- Yale team navigates campus anger amid NCAA Tournament bid Mar 10
- Yale captain Montague won't return to Ivy league leaders Feb 24
- Princeton forward Hans Brase to miss basketball season Nov 15
- Harvard edges Yale in thriller for Ivy League title Mar 15
- Murray State beats Yale for CIT title Apr 3
- Racers host Bulldogs for CIT crown Apr 3
- Napier's triple-double leads UConn past Yale Nov 11