Va. Commonwealth holds off Georgia State 78-62Jan 31, 2010 - 4:25 AM RICHMOND, Va.(AP) -- Joey Rodriguez had a season-high 22 points and dished out nine assists and Virginia Commonwealth hit 30 free throws in a 78-62 win over Georgia State on Saturday night.
Larry Sanders had 13 points and 13 rebounds for his seventh double-double of the season for the Rams (15-5, 7-4 Colonial Athletic Association), while Brandon Rozzell scored 12 and Darius Theus and Ed Nixon chipped in 10 points apiece.
Georgia State (9-14, 3-8) led 16-10 with 11:29 left in the first half, but Virginia Commonwealth pulled ahead 19-18 and kept the lead for good, going into halftime up 45-32.
The Panthers opened the second half on a 19-9 run to cut the deficit to three with 6:27 to go. Virginia Commonwealth used a 7-0 run, capped by a Rodriguez jumper, to pull away.
The Rams were 30-for-35 from the line.
Joe Dukes scored 17 points to lead the Panthers, who lost their third straight.
- NCAA BB
GEORGIA ST 62
VA COMMONWEALTH 78 FINAL
Jan 30 10:11 PM
- NCAA BB
GEORGIA ST 32
VA COMMONWEALTH 45 HALFTIME
Jan 30 9:04 PM
- Things looking more normal for Wade in Year 2 at VCU May 13
- VCU announces sophomore F Michael Gilmore is transferring May 3
- VCU restructures, extends contract of men's hoops coach Wade Mar 29
- Oklahoma faces another dangerous double-digit seed in VCU Mar 19
- Payton II following in father's NCAA footsteps at Oregon St Mar 17
- VCU hoping to find winning formula again in NCAA Tournament Mar 16
- VCU seeking another shot at A10 Tournament championship Mar 9
- JeQuan Lewis' growth at PG a key to VCU's winning streak Feb 5
- VCU coach Will Wade says surging Rams can't get complacent Jan 21
- Broken finger likely to sideline VCU's Burgess 'a few weeks' Jan 11
- Wade to begin VCU's post-Shaka era with modified 'Havoc' Nov 10
- Wade leaves Chattanooga to return to VCU Apr 7