Southern Utah beats UMKC 69-56Jan 31, 2010 - 4:59 AM CEDAR CITY, Utah(AP) -- Matt Massey scored 14 points, Matt Hodgson had 10 points and 10 rebounds, and Southern Utah broke away in the closing minutes for a 69-56 victory over UMKC Saturday night.
The score was tied at 50 with six minutes to play, then Massey scored on a three-point play that ignited a 13-2 run by the Thunderbirds (6-15, 2-8 Summit). The final score was Southern Utah's largest lead of the game.
Southern Utah outrebounded UMKC 42-25 and scored 38 points in the paint while holding UMKC to 10.
Jay Couisnard had 18 points and Trey McKinney-Jones 14 for the Kangaroos (9-12, 3-7).
Southern Utah made 49 percent of its field-goal tries - 61 percent in the first half - while UMKC made 34 percent for the game.
- Saint Mary's rolls over Southern Utah 92-36 Dec 17
- No. 14 Iowa State coasts to win over UMKC Dec 10
- Kangaroos hoping to bounce past 14th-ranked Cyclones Dec 9
- SDSU routs Southern Utah Dec 19
- Thunderbirds come calling on 24th-ranked Aztecs Dec 18
- No. 3 Louisville cruises past UMKC Dec 4
- No. 7 Louisville takes on UMKC Dec 4
- Iowa State routs UMKC Nov 25
- Cyclones set sights on Kangaroos Nov 25
- UMKC picks Louisville assistant Richardson Mar 19
- UMKC fires Brown Mar 12
- No. 25 Kansas State holds off UMKC Dec 29