Portland rolls past Santa Clara 74-52Jan 31, 2010 - 5:40 AM SANTA CLARA, Calif.(AP) -- Jared Stohl scored 16 points and broke Portland's school career record for 3-pointers, helping the Pilots to a 74-52 win over Santa Clara on Saturday night.
Stohl has made 212 shots from behind the arc for Portland (14-7, 5-2 West Coast Conference), which won its fourth straight and moved within a game of first-place Gonzaga. The No. 13 Bulldogs, who were upset 81-77 by San Francisco, host the Pilots on Wednesday.
Luke Sikma had 15 points and 12 rebounds for Portland, and T.J. Campbell added 13 points and five assists.
Robert Smith had 17 points and five rebounds for Santa Clara (9-15, 1-6).
Sikma scored 13 points in the first half as Portland built a 20-point lead. He took only three shots after halftime but grabbed seven of his rebounds in the second half to record his fourth double-double of the season.
Stohl, who moved into the Pilots' starting lineup four games ago after leading scorer Nik Raivio strained his right Achilles tendon in practice on Jan. 18, surpassed Portland's career mark for 3-pointers previously held by Casey Frandsen (2000-04).
After the game, Stohl, who is averaging 18.5 points since replacing Raivio, was greeted with a rousing ovation from a small contingent of Pilots fans as he emerged from Portland's locker room.
Stohl's play over the last two weeks has been huge for the Pilots, who are still unsure when Raivio will return. Raivio, who is averaging 14.1 points and 6.1 rebounds, did not make the trip to California and may miss the Pirates' game against Gonzaga.
Santa Clara, which led Gonzaga by 14 on Thursday before losing 71-64, got out of rhythm in the first half and couldn't make any sustained runs at the Pilots.
The Broncos shot just 36 percent from the floor and trailed by as much as 23 in the second half. It's just the third time in the last 10 games and sixth time in 32 games that Santa Clara has lost to Portland.
Marc Trasolini, the Broncos' leading scorer, was held to 10 points on 3-for-6 shooting.
- Terry Porter introduced as new Portland Pilots coach Apr 5
- Portland Pilots hire Terry Porter as basketball coach Apr 2
- Santa Clara hopes Sendek can lift team to WCC elite Mar 30
- Santa Clara hires Herb Sendek as new head coach Mar 29
- Santa Clara fires basketball coach Kerry Keating Mar 7
- Wintering sparks Portland past Abilene Christian, 87-57 Nov 23
- Gonzaga pulls away in second half, tops Santa Clara Feb 6
- Broncos face tall task in clash with second-ranked Bulldogs Feb 5
- No. 3 Gonzaga routs Portland Jan 30
- Pilots hope to fly past third-ranked Bulldogs Jan 29
- Gonzaga rolls over Santa Clara Jan 11
- Broncos battle Bulldogs in WCC fracas Jan 10