Miami beats Virginia Tech 82-75, snaps 4-game skidJan 31, 2010 - 8:36 PM CORAL GABLES, Fla.(AP) -- James Dews scored 21 points as Miami defeated Virginia Tech 82-75 Sunday afternoon to snap a four-game losing streak.
The Hokies rallied from a 19-point deficit with a 24-9 run midway through the second half. J.T. Thompson scored eight points during the run, and his free throw with 7:32 remaining cut Miami's lead to 65-60.
Virginia Tech (16-4, 3-3 Atlantic Coast Conference) stayed within a five-point deficit and had a final chance to reduce a 75-70 lead with under a minute left. But Malcolm Delaney missed a running jumper with 34 seconds remaining and fouled Reggie Johnson on a put-back attempt.
Johnson converted both free throws, securing the victory.
Malcolm Grant and Duran Scott scored 13 and 12 points as Miami (16-5, 2-5) avenged an 81-66 loss at Virginia Tech on Jan. 13.
Dorenzo Hudson led Virginia Tech with 22 points. Jeff Allen finished with 19 points.
- NCAA BB
VIRGINIA TECH 75
MIAMI FL 82 FINAL
Jan 31 3:19 PM
- NCAA BB
VIRGINIA TECH 30
MIAMI FL 47 HALFTIME
Jan 31 2:02 PM
- Australian Vasiljevic signs to play basketball for Miami Apr 13
- Virginia Tech grants sophomore guard Jalen Hudson release Apr 6
- Miami Hurricanes sophomore James Palmer decides to transfer Mar 28
- Miami falls to 0-3 in Sweet 16, routed 92-69 by Villanova Mar 25
- Friendship will take a backseat in Villanova-Miami matchup Mar 23
- Miami plays Villanova with chance at 1st Elite 8 berth Mar 21
- Wichita State Shockers face Miami, ready to keep on shocking Mar 18
- Fast-paced game expected in Miami, Buffalo matchup Mar 16
- Larranaga hopes Miami can recapture George Mason's magic Mar 8
- Larranaga optimistic No. 7 Hurricanes will finish strong Feb 29
- Miami's Newton suspended 3 games for violating team rules Feb 27
- No. 11 Hurricanes to face 4 ranked teams in 12 days Feb 18