Niagara builds lead, defeats Loyola 86-77Jan 31, 2010 - 11:00 PM BALTIMORE(AP) -- Demetrius Williamson scored 20 points to lead Niagara to an 86-77 victory over Loyola (Md.) on Sunday.
Bilal Benn added 17 points and nine rebounds for the Purple Eagles (12-12, 5-7 Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference), who hit their final five free throw attempts after Loyola (10-12, 3-9) cut the lead to 81-75 on Brian Rudolph's two free throws with 34 seconds left.
Williamson hit one of two attempts and Tyrone Lewis and Benn added two each in the final 30 seconds.
For the game, Niagara was 31-for-42 from the line (73.8 percent), with Benn going 8-for-10.
Niagara shot 53.8 percent from the field (14-for-26) in the first half to take a 41-28 halftime advantage. The Purple Eagles led 80-71 with 1:06 left.
Anthony Nelson added 15 points and Rob Garrison scored 10 for Niagara.
Brett Harvey scored 18, Brian Rudolph added 15 and J'hared Hall scored 14 for Loyola.
- Niagara edges Marist 69-66 Jan 28
- Late surge gets No. 13 UConn past Loyola Nov 27
- Greyhounds hoping to run past 13th-ranked Huskies Nov 26
- Niagara names Casey new men's hoops coach Apr 22
- Loyola-Maryland promotes Smith to head coach Apr 12
- Cooley, No. 22 Notre Dame cruise past Niagara Dec 22
- Notre Dame puts perfect home mark on line against Niagara Dec 21
- Report: Loyola-Maryland extends Patsos Mar 28
- Thomas pours in 31 as Ohio State routs Loyola-Maryland Mar 16
- Buckeyes battle Greyhounds to begin tournament run Mar 15
- Loyola-Maryland captures first MAAC title since '94 Mar 6
- Stags and Greyhounds meet for MAAC Tournament title Mar 5