Delaware State defeats Howard 54-45Feb 2, 2010 - 4:05 AM DOVER, Del.(AP) -- Marques Oliver scored 12 points and Delaware State shut down Howard in a 54-45 win on Monday night.
Greg Smith added 10 points for the Hornets (11-8, 6-2 Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference), and was the only other double-digit scorer.
The Bison (6-17, 5-4) attempted just 17 shots and turned the ball over 10 times in the first half, as Delaware State led 27-20 at halftime.
The Hornets, who lead the MEAC in scoring defense by allowing 60.2 points per game, used a trapping defense and full-court pressure to hold Howard to 39.5 percent shooting (15 of 38).
Delaware State outrebounded the Bison 31-25 and held Howard to just seven assists. The Hornets won their third straight.
Calvin Thompson, the Bison's leading scorer at 13.7 points per game, had just eight points against the Hornets.
- Delaware State beats D-III Summit U 93-44 for 1st win Jan 4
- Hampton tops Delaware State for MEAC title Mar 14
- Hampton, Delaware State battle in MEAC championship Mar 14
- Delaware State fires Greg Jackson Jan 31
- No. 7 Oklahoma State demolishes Delaware State Dec 17
- Hornets hit road hoping to sting seventh-ranked Cowboys Dec 17
- Dayton tops Delaware State Dec 4
- 25th-ranked Flyers set sights on Hornets Dec 4
- No. 17 Kansas downs Howard Dec 30
- Kansas welcomes Howard to Lawrence Dec 29
- Indiana thumps Howard Dec 19
- Bison seek upset of undefeated Hoosiers Dec 19