Mercer defeats Florida Gulf Coast 78-72Feb 2, 2010 - 5:44 AM MACON, Ga.(AP) -- Daniel Emerson scored 19 points and grabbed 15 rebounds to help Mercer defeat Florida Gulf Coast 78-72 on Monday night.
E.J. Kusnyer added 22 points for the Bears (11-11, 7-6 Atlantic Sun Conference), who shot 44.9 percent from the field (22 of 49).
Mercer, which led 36-32 at halftime, took a 37-32 lead on Jeff Smith's free throw 23 seconds into the second half.
The Eagles (7-15, 4-9) then pulled within 40-38 on two free throws by Reed Baker with 13:05 remaining.
Florida Gulf Coast turned the ball over two times as the Bears pulled away with a 7-2 run, taking a 47-40 lead on Daniel Emerson's free throws with 9:45 left.
Brandon Moore added 12 points and Brian Mills chipped in 11 for the Bears.
The Eagles were led by Anthony Banks with 23 points and 10 rebounds. Reed Baker added 13 points and Reggie Chambers had 12 for Florida Gulf Coast.
- NCAA BB
FLA GULF COAST 72
MERCER 78 FINAL
Feb 1 11:25 PM
- NCAA BB
FLA GULF COAST 23
MERCER 36 HALFTIME
Feb 1 10:04 PM
- FGCU hoops coach Dooley gets 2-year extension through 2020 May 7
- Tar Heels aim to stay on defensive vs. Eagles in NCAAs Mar 16
- Tennessee cruises past Mercer to reach Sweet 16 Mar 23
- Mercer seeks another upset in clash with Tennessee Mar 23
- Mercer's late rally stuns Duke Mar 21
- Blue Devils and Bears meet in Midwest Regional battle Mar 21
- Mercer takes out Florida Gulf Coast for Atlantic Sun crown Mar 9
- Eagles and Bears meet in A-Sun title game Mar 9
- Dooley tabbed as FGCU men's basketball coach Apr 17
- Cinderella's run ends; Gators oust FGCU Mar 30
- Surprising Eagles set sights on Gators in Sweet 16 Mar 28
- FGCU moves into Sweet 16 by stunning Aztecs Mar 25