Morgan State defeats North Carolina A&T 74-65Feb 2, 2010 - 4:51 AM GREENSBORO, N.C.(AP) -- Reggie Holmes scored 26 points and Kevin Thompson grabbed 20 rebounds to help Morgan State defeat North Carolina A&T 74-65 on Monday night.
The Bears (16-7, 8-0 Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference) jumped out to a 14-4 lead after two free throws by Rodney Stokes with 13:08 left in the first half and didn't trail the rest of the way.
The Aggies (7-15, 3-5) committed seven turnovers during Morgan State's opening spurt, and finished with 15.
The Bears scored 22 points off turnovers in their eighth straight win.
Morgan State committed 20 turnovers leading to 15 Aggies' points, but outrebounded North Carolina A&T 51-33.
Troy Smith scored 16 points and Thompson finished with 10 for the Bears. Holmes, the MEAC Player of the Week, was 9 of 16 from the field and 4 of 9 from 3-point range.
The Aggies were led by Tavarus Alston with 23 points and Thomas Coleman with 11.
- Veteran North Carolina aims to end where it starts: at No. 1 Nov 2
- No. 12 Ohio State routs NC A&T Dec 17
- Hapless Aggies challenge mighty Buckeyes Dec 17
- N.C. Central downs Morgan State in MEAC title game Mar 16
- Eagles and Bears clash in MEAC title tilt Mar 15
- Oregon cruises past Morgan State Dec 29
- Morgan State faces unenviable task of taking on No. 12 Oregon Dec 29
- Smith powers Buckeyes past Morgan State Nov 9
- Bears battle Buckeyes in season opener Nov 9
- Top-seeded Louisville cruises past N.C. A&T Mar 21
- Top-seeded Cardinals get tournament run underway against Aggies Mar 20
- Flame Out: NC A&T edges Liberty in Tourney opener Mar 19